Czech folder

Started by dafrieze, Tuesday 02 August 2011, 23:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

But I see no link at all on the download page for the Kabalis. The description is there, but no link. ???

lechner1110

Hi Amphissa,  Concerto by Kabalis is in same zip file of Foerster.
  I made link below of Foerster.  It was difficult to understand.  I apologize to confuse you.

fr8nks

Greg K was most generous in sending to my home a recording of Jaroslav Ridky's Cello Concerto No.1. It is coupled with Simon Jurovsky's Cello Concerto. About two weeks ago I uploaded Ridky's Cello Concerto No.2. If there is interest in more of Ridky I will upload these works.

Message from fr8nks:
I previously owned the LP that the Overture was taken from and posted all the information that was available. However, an error was just brought to my attention by a private message concerning a previous post at UC. An astute member observed that Cello Concertos Nos.1 & 2 are identical. Concerto No.1 was sent to me by a member of UC (also a member here) and I assumed the information was correct without comparing it to No.2 and posted it with his permission on UC. Cello Concerto No.2 is labeled correctly and was taken from an LP that I had in my possession. I will try to correct the posting at UC. It was also correctly brought to my attention that I should have uploaded No.2 into a different folder designated for previous posts from UC. I am sorry for the mistakes.

Holger

fr8nks, definitely there is interest - I would be glad to get these works!

JimL

Is it KABALIS or KALABIS?  I'm confused? ??? ???

Holger

fr8nks, thanks for your further uploads. I have now listened to Řídký's Cello Concerto No. 1 and enjoyed it a lot. Actually there are quite some influences of Dvořák's B Minor Cello Concerto in the piece (and the same holds for Řídký's Second Cello Concerto as well), but for me this doesn't matter as these works are very pleasant and spirited.

Holger

For those interested in having complete information on pieces, broadcasts etc., the recording of the piece by Jaroslav Smolka (Dialogue of Forms, actually it is called a symphony) which Sydney kindly uploaded seems to be exactly this one:
http://www2.rozhlas.cz/archivy/index.php?HLEDPO=841577

lechner1110

fr8nks , Thank you very much to upload violin concerto by Srnka. He is new composer to me, and very interesting work :D

Sydney Grew

Something about the Czech composer Ivo Bláha (born 1936), including a list of his compositions: http://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/ivoblaha

Dundonnell

Thank you very much for your Czech music downloads, Sydney Grew :)

If you could possibly provide details of performers of the music you are uploading that would be very helpful :)

I think that the performers for the Blaha are the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Zdenek Macal ???

....although, to be honest, I am afraid that the Blaha is the type of "modern music" which does nothing for me at all :(

Sydney Grew

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 23 January 2012, 14:38. . . If you could possibly provide details of performers of the music . . . that would be very helpful :)

I think that the performers for the Blaha are the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Zdenek Macal ???

....although, to be honest, I am afraid that the Blaha is the type of "modern music" which does nothing for me at all :(

Indeed Mr. Dundonnell that was one of the reasons why I kept the spoken introductions for each work: I thought there was a chance that one day I might learn Czech and understand what was being said. But alas! my Czech remains very rudimentary, and any interpretation I might attempt of the performers' names would really only be guesswork. So, many thanks to yourself, to Mr. Holger above, and to any one else whose command of Czech enables them to decypher more information and post it. At the time of recording I did cut and paste from the broadcast schedule, for my records, the composer's name and the name of the work in Czech, but unfortunately not those of the performers.

By the way, Czech seems one of the most difficult European languages, as nouns have about four genders and seven cases for each of singular and plural; adjectives and verbs are much the same; probably more than ancient Greek.

I agree with you that the Bláha was not very promising at the start - but towards the end he does seem to revert to a rather more mellifluously traditional and tonal style. Czech Radio uses the orthography Cyklorama, but the composer's web-site spells it Cyclorama - that may be because the rest of the text on that site is in English. In general I'm not very keen on the modern fashion for evocative names - not quite the same case as "tone-poems" - I would rather let the music speak for itself . . .

semloh

Performers aside, the JEREMIÁŠ overture is a most enjoyable piece, Sydney. Certainly uplifting after a busy day....
Thanks!  :)

Latvian

Driving to work this morning, I was listening to Iša Krejčí's 2nd Symphony, and it occurred to me that none of Krejčí's music had been uploaded yet to UC. So, here you are -- one of my very favorite pieces of music. I hope you'll find it as engaging as I do, with a very recognizable Czech character (orchestral colors, harmonies, etc.). Tuneful from beginning to end, but with a modern flair and lots of cheek.

The performance I uploaded is a good one, but the one to get is Karel Ančerl's on Supraphon, which I can't upload. If you like the work, do seek out Ančerl's recording -- it's the real deal and really penetrates to the heart of the music.

Dundonnell

Indeed..I have the Ancerl performance on cd and I shall certainly get it off the shelves and give it another listen ;D