Moszkowski Piano Concerto Op.3

Started by edurban, Saturday 12 November 2011, 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

Can anyone tell me more about this piece?  I understand that it was unpublished, and has been (at some point) reported lost...however, a friend who teaches piano at Juilliard told me this morning that the score exists in Paris (recent discovery?) but the work is early, somewhat uncharacteristic Moszkowski. 

More information, please.

David

eschiss1

hrm. his works opus 1-4 were published in 1875 so I am going to guess that it was composed in that general area of time, and will see if I can possibly find any reviews of a performance, say, but this is the first I'd heard of it... though I see that a list of his works does mention it (another doesn't...) (indeed, the "allmusic.com bio" claims that 1875 was the year the opus 3 concerto was premiered by the composer. there's some disagreement between the few mentions I see as to whether this premiere was a duet with Liszt and without orchestra, or whether it was with orchestra and then followed by another performance of the same work as a duet with Liszt (the allmusic.com bio has the latter, some others the former)- anyways... allegedly premiered 1875, composed by then, as yet unpublished, don't know much else yet- sorry...)
Ah! http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/c.asp?c=C424 - Philipp Scharwenka conducts the premiere of Moszkowski's concerto opus 3, then Liszt and Mosz. perform it as a duet. Hrm. Some good things in the bio at the link actually.

JimL

That would be quite a find, if true.  The liner notes for the first Hyperion RPC issue (Moszkowski Op. 59 and Paderewski) state quite plainly that this Op. 3 concerto was lost, along with his 2 symphonies.  If the score has been found, that may be a harbinger of good things regarding the symphonies (as well as another Hyperion CD).  ;D

FBerwald

Wow! exciting news. Hope this is not Just another rumor...

markniew

yes, intriguing. I wish it was truth and some day ...

Martin Eastick

I would like to know when Moszkowski's 1st piano concerto was given the label Op3! I know that Op3 is a blank in his opus number listing, but I can only assuume that this a presumption as there are other lost works from this period (early 1870's) unless there is concrete evidence to confirm the composer's intention.

All this may be explained in a new publication, which I understand will be available in early 2012: Moritz Moszkowski Biographie und Werkverzeihniss, by Boyan Assenov (ISBN 978-3-86988-210-9). which is being published by Hainholz.de. They list this publication as having c525 pages, so I presume there has been much research done and hopefully a worthy worklist that may also shed light on other 'lost' works (Symphonies, Overture, Piano Quintet etc). Anyway, my copy is already on pre-order!

It would be great if PC1 does indeed survive, and I know Mike Spring will be more than interested.......

edurban

Very interesting stuff.  Actually, I have no authority for the Op.3 label except some mention on the internet...thin evidence, indeed.  The concerto is apparently in A, whether major or minor my source could not remember.  He has promised to get more information...

David

Martin Eastick

I have now had confirmation via a reliable source (Hyperion Records)  that this piano concerto DOES SURVIVE in its entirety!! Apparently it is in the key of B minor and  the autographed score actually states Op6 (this number was eventually assigned to his Fantasie-Impromptu for publication) - so perhaps an oversight on Moszkowski's part at the time. It would therefore be quite reasonable to fill the missing Op3 listing with this work! Obviously I now look forward to reading what Boyan Assenov has to say about this in his study.

Hopefully we will not have to wait too long to hear it!

Mark Thomas

Now THAT really is a worthwhile piece of news. Thanks, Martin.

edurban

Thanks, Martin.  Great news! (I was unable to change the opus # in the original heading...)

David

thalbergmad

This work was unearthed (if that is the correct word) by a friend of mine a few months ago and indeed it is marked Op.6. The nice people at the BNF allowed him to take photos which must have taken some time considering the 450 odd pages.

The last I heard was that it was pretty certain that the BNF would give permission for the manuscript to be typeset and published and that a performance was being scheduled for May next year.

Concertingly.

Thal

Mark Thomas

This is very exciting news, Thal. Oh, and welcome back!

FBerwald

Quote from: thalbergmad on Monday 05 December 2011, 22:33
...... a performance was being scheduled for May next year.

Concertingly.

Thal

O schöner Mai! Can't come soon enough!

giles.enders

Is there any further news about this concerto.  Did a performance take place last year? Are there any plans to record it?

FBerwald