Moszkowski Piano Concerto Op.3

Started by edurban, Saturday 12 November 2011, 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Gounod21

Thalberg, how/where did u get to listen to the early Moszkowski PC? Thanks, Steve

jerfilm

Can't WAIt to hear it.  I might have to take THREE PCs to that imaginary island discussed elsewhere....

J

eschiss1

You might want to upload those to Forum III (uploads/downloads) instead, which is member-only-viewing &c... (I'm not an admin, just thinking it -sounds- like a good idea. I suspect these two forums, unlike that one, are Google (et cie)-scraped time-to-time.)

Ludmil Angelov

OK, thank you. I removed it and now it's waiting for an approval at FORUM III.

Ludmil

Mark Thomas

I've approved it Ludmil, and thanks so much for this. Great to hear this long-promised piece at last.

jerfilm

Yes, thanks so very much.  I've waited to hear this piecce since the Ponti recording of the E major concerto hit my ears.  Am anxious to give it some intensive listens

Jerry

Alan Howe

At first hearing, heavenly stuff. Probably miles too long, but who cares? One of our best-ever uploads: thanks ever so much!

eschiss1

Ooh, thanks. Downloaded. Hrm, may I ask the movement headings at the openings of each of the 4 fore!... identification porpoises?...

Mark Thomas

Moritz MOSZKOWSKI (1854-1925)

Piano Concerto in B minor Op.3 (1874)
I. Con spirito - Allegro
II. Adagio
III. Scherzo: Molto vivace
IV. L'istesso tempo - Allegro con spirito
Rzeszow Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vladimir Kiradjiev
Ludmil Angelov, piano

Yes, an absolute feast for any lover of romantic piano concertos. What a  find. We owe everyone involved a real debt. I'd usually think that, at over 50 minutes, it is way too long, but Moszkowski's inventiveness never flags and so for once I'm not complaining about it.

FBerwald

I agree with Alan... heavenly stuff!! The Scherzo was unbelievably beautiful and the finale, astonishing! I sincerely hope Hyperion releases this.

Peter1953

Utterly delightful, with so many beautiful passages and emotional depth, like in the Adagio. Definitely a trouvaille... Thanks very much for the upload, Ludmil Angelov.

Jonathan

What a brilliant piece!  Very many thanks for uploading this, so nice to have some more cheerful, sunny Moszkowski on a wet miserable afternoon in Yorkshire!

eschiss1

er, didn't we say early in this thread that it was probably his Op.6, not Op.3? Is it now Op.3 again?... *confuzzled* and thanks again!

(quoting Thalbergmad- with apologies...
post from 5 December 2011

"This work was unearthed (if that is the correct word) by a friend of mine a few months ago and indeed it is marked Op.6. The nice people at the BNF allowed him to take photos which must have taken some time considering the 450 odd pages.")

Mark Thomas

On the question of Op.3 v Op.6, I was going by Bojan Assenov's magnificent biography and catalogue of Moszkowski: download it here. The section on Piano Concerto Op.3 begins on page 361.

Richard Moss

For those of us less fluent in German, can anyone provide either (i) a translation of the relevant bit or (ii) at least a file of the text that could then be put into Google's auto-translater??

A first listen revealed a delightful piece, as endorsed by comments above, but the notes might well add to that enjoyment, so any help in being able to access them in English much appreciated.

Richard