Problem with Mediafire

Started by fr8nks, Friday 11 May 2012, 14:59

Previous topic - Next topic

fr8nks

Is anyone else having a problem downloading from Mediafire today? When I click on a link it says "Preparing to Download" but nothing happens.

cjvinthechair

Ah, just missed your post as I was preparing a similar one ! Yes, same experience today; never had problems before, it's been terrific, so assumed it was probably just me !

Dundonnell

Definitely not at my end. I have just downloaded the new Kadosa, the Cuclin and the Ivanovs files successfully :)

Jimfin

I've managed something with no problems here in Japan

Mark Thomas

No problem for me - I've just downloaded the Lemba PC.

cjvinthechair

Aha - mine seems to be back ! Problem(for now) solved...obviously localised; could that be GB, or part of ?
Oh well, hope it no longer matters.....there's a day's music to catch up on !

fr8nks

I had problems for about 2 1/2 hours and then it cleared up. After two hours I used a different computer and browser and was able to download using Google Chrome. Now I'm back to my main computer and all is well.

markniew

For few days I do not have access to "my files" section. Thet happened, I think, after I cleaned the history track in my browser. mediafire launches now with its main site asking me either to register or to login. The problem is that I don't remember my password. Asked for reminding it but no hint was sent to my e-mail address. OK, I can register anew but I will not have the list of my previous uploads

DerMorgen

I rarely get through to the download process before having tried 7 (or up to 25) times.

Guess it´s normal and that it is due to Mediafire´s eagerness to show their commercials.

Elroel

Hi guys,

Yes, I had the same problem: tried to upload a couple of files, went to bed and left the machine running. This morning it was still uploading (68Hrs to go, it said), so I stopped the proces and started the upload anew, this time single files. No problems.

A few days ago I did it the same way and that time nothing only one file was oploaded after a night's work.

Elroel

Mark Thomas

This might me a good moment to mention that members don't have to use MediaFire for their uploads. It's entirely up to you which service you use, although obviously it has to be one which allows sharing of files (some which did don't now after the MegaUpload case). It's also much fairer on your fellow members if the service you chose doesn't bombard them with pop up ads, impose onerous delays before downloads and so on. On the whole we've found MediaFire user friendly and accessible but it's not the only such service out there.

britishcomposer

Has any of you had virus/trojan warnings with mediafire recently?

I just tried to download sicmu's upload of the Tardos Symphony. Instead a window opened telling me that there were three infected files on my computer. I was asked to delete them but I did not click OK because this window made me feel uneasy: I use Kaspersky and have just checked my entire computer. Kaspersky found nothing. The window seemed to be a Windows dialogue but I think it was a fake. I would like to know if any of you has had such presumably faked Windows warnings. I was sceptical because I couldn't close this window unless closing all open Windows explorer windows.
Well, I tried a second time and there was no problem. Therefore I think that the problem has nothing to do with sicmu's upload.
Either my computer is infected or this was some nauseating kind of advertisement, trying by force to direct one to some commercial website?

jerfilm

Yes, BC, I had the same experience just yesterday.  It looks quite "official" but is some kind of virus or trojan.  I immediately ran McAfee's virus finder program (which took forever) and it found two files infected and then I ran Malwarebytes anti-malware program and it found one more.  So far (fingers crossed) it has not popped up again.

There'a another one similar to that, looking very official that just keeps popping up every couple of minutes and wants you to run some program that costs $29.95 USD (I think that was the price).  But there is no program - you just give them your money.  This one is a real chore to get rid of so I hope that one never sneaks into your PC.

Regards,  Jerry

britishcomposer

Thanks, Jerry! So your computer was indeed infected by this? When this warning popped up, did you click OK? Where you directed to some other site? Was this perhaps the reason why your computer became infected? I did not want to click OK. Maybe that's why Kaspersky didn't find anything.
Anyway, good luck!

I am in no way against mediafire but that kind of advertising is a bit too much I think...

jerfilm

No, I learned long ago that you never go forward with anything you don't recognize.  I just hit the "X" up in the corner.  But it did pop up again a few minutes later.   It in iself was an infection of sorts.  If it doesn't show up again, I wouldnt worry about it.  If it does, you might consider some other anti-virus checker.

Jerry