The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 51 – Taubert & Rosenhain

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 14 July 2010, 04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

By the way, Taubert wrote either 3 or 4 (acc. to Wikipedia, 4) symphonies, one of which (his 2nd, I believe- I'm not sure of the numbering; my labeling it as no.2 at IMSLP and elsewhere was a guess based on some evidence but still a guess) is available for free download from a Danish source and from IMSLP.  (http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.2,_Op.80_(Taubert,_Wilhelm)) (According to a book about the Leipzig Gewandhaus, symphonies by Taubert in F were performed there in 1846, this B minor symphony in 1851, and a C minor symphony in 1856.  WorldCat gives opus numbers- 69, 80, and 113- to these works. There are also 4 string quartets, 2 of which - nos. 2 and 3 - are on IMSLP.)  I'd have to hear the Taubert 2nd, which I can't quite in my mind - it looks lean and early-Romantic (though not "Classical") - to compare it to other symphonies written in the early 1850s. (Not counting Schumann's 4th which was merely revised then! But Gade 5 of the next year, perhaps.)

Eric

FBerwald

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 14:39
The Stojowski 3rd PC has a page or two missing just before the end. However, I have no doubt these could be reasonably faithfully reconstructed.

I'm still surprised Hyperion didn't mention any of this in the booklet... I do hope they might be the ones to finally do this!!! along with the Rhapsodie symphonique pour piano et orchestre Op. 23.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI do hope they might be the ones to finally do this!!! along with the Rhapsodie symphonique pour piano et orchestre Op. 23.

You may be able to help this come to fruition by writing to Mike Spring at Hyperion. This advice applies to anyone wanting to encourage record companies to consider the sort of repertoire we like on this forum.  Don't simply write about it here; contact the people who can get it done.

Alan Howe

Gareth is absolutely right - as I hope to report concerning Rufinatscha before the end of the year.

Simon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 22 August 2010, 03:41
By the way, Taubert wrote either 3 or 4 (acc. to Wikipedia, 4) symphonies, one of which (his 2nd, I believe- I'm not sure of the numbering; my labeling it as no.2 at IMSLP and elsewhere was a guess based on some evidence but still a guess) is available for free download from a Danish source and from IMSLP.  (http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.2,_Op.80_(Taubert,_Wilhelm))

Hi there,

I'm new here. Just want to let Eric know that according to Fetis' "Biographie universelle des musiciens", Taubert actually wrote 5 symphonies, of which Op. 80 is the fourth. By the way, I'm the one who asked last week the Danish Royal Library for the .pdf of Taubert's Symphony Op. 80 as well as his Chöre zur Medea des Euripides. Op. 57. They have a huge collection of 19th-century music, and they are always helpful and glad to share it. So if you're looking for some "unsung music", that's a good starting point.

Simon

P.S.: Sorry for my English, it's not perfect, it's my second language.

Mark Thomas

JimL

This Danish Royal Library could be a potential treasure trove!  Perhaps there may be some full scores of works that exist elsewhere only in piano reduction!  Has anybody really looked there besides Simon?  Welcome aboard, friend! ;D

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

It is a treasure trove and they digitalise and post the results which are freely downloadable.

http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/samling/ma/digmus/index.html                                                                                       

They also (or should I say used to) digitalise any of their holdings free of charge which they did for me on several occasions.

British Library please take note ;D

Thal

thalbergmad

I see Alan has passed the 1,000 post mark and is now officially a hero.

Thal

Alan Howe

Well, yes - very embarrassing!
It is, of course, a privilege to (co-)moderate this forum; and without our regular - and irregular - posters there would, of course, be nothing to moderate!

eschiss1

Quote from: Simon on Monday 23 August 2010, 19:47
Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 22 August 2010, 03:41
By the way, Taubert wrote either 3 or 4 (acc. to Wikipedia, 4) symphonies, one of which (his 2nd, I believe- I'm not sure of the numbering; my labeling it as no.2 at IMSLP and elsewhere was a guess based on some evidence but still a guess) is available for free download from a Danish source and from IMSLP.  (http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.2,_Op.80_(Taubert,_Wilhelm))

Hi there,

I'm new here. Just want to let Eric know that according to Fetis' "Biographie universelle des musiciens", Taubert actually wrote 5 symphonies, of which Op. 80 is the fourth. By the way, I'm the one who asked last week the Danish Royal Library for the .pdf of Taubert's Symphony Op. 80 as well as his Chöre zur Medea des Euripides. Op. 57. They have a huge collection of 19th-century music, and they are always helpful and glad to share it. So if you're looking for some "unsung music", that's a good starting point.

Simon

P.S.: Sorry for my English, it's not perfect, it's my second language.
Thank you- changing name of the IMSLP page accordingly. Yes, the Danish library page here and the site it's a part of generally is very useful (the page http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Other_music_score_websites lists a few other sources of music score scans worth browsing too, by the way.)

Rather wish the Stanford second violin concerto reduced score were scanned in :)
Eric

Gerhard Griesel

Quote from: FBerwald on Wednesday 28 July 2010, 07:21
I'm very sure I'm going to like this better than Vol. 51 (No offence.. BUT lately most of the RPC releases have been of the classical-romantic type...where as I can't wait to hear their purely romantic offerings like the past Scharwenka, Brull, Stojowsky, etc ).

I'm the same. I studiously try to avoid the classical romantics when buying the Hyperion series. This is not easy by listening to the 30sec bits provided by Amazon, so I usually look up the composer, and as a rule of thumb, if he was born before 1830, then I avoid.

Off topic: I was privileged to get hold of the Bowen piano concerto in Italy last year, and found the use of the tuba unusual and special.

thalbergmad

FBerwald

Quote from: thalbergmad on Tuesday 24 August 2010, 22:37
I say Sir, is that wise?

You will miss the Pixis.

Thal

Is there some pl;ace where we can listen to some sample bits of the Pixis. I have heard so much about him in this forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!