Raff symphonies from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 November 2010, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

I think a lot (if not everything) depends on the repertoire choice and quality of the first disc. If it's one of Raff's best works in a dazzling performance, there's every chance. If not, well...

mbhaub

Something occurred to me after reading more: Jarvi tends to perform music in concert before committing to disk. Maybe to spend more time with the music, to get it "right". So there's a nice prospect: Raff live with a major conductor and a major orchestra. I can hope that we would do some as a guest conductor. Can you imagine Jarvi doing Lenore in Chicago? Or Im Walde in New York? One can always dream...

Alan Howe

I'm dreaming...of the cost of the plane ticket!  ;)

Ilja

Ah, and Järvi is chief conductor of the Residentie Orchestra here in The Hague... I'll keep a sharp eye on next year's programme...

Alan Howe

Now that'd be fantastic! At least an invasion by Raff fans would be more peaceful than one by football fans!

Josh

Järvi did Chadwick's symphonies 2 & 3 for Chandos, and as far as I'm concerned, that was a serious winner of a disc.  If you use that as an indicator of what might be coming with the Raff recordings, there may be serious cause to be optimistic here!

chill319

I agree that Jarvi is great in Chadwick. His Tam O'Shanter is superbly nuanced while remaining structurally articulate. He does especially well, I think, with composers who flourished in the 1930s and '40s -- Prokofiev, Barber, Tubin, Still ...

JimL

petershott@btinternet.com

Oooh Jim!! William Grant Still (1895-1978), a notable African-American composer. Jarvi (on Chandos) recorded his first two symphonies (1930 and 1937) - and they are most compelling pieces.

Way off thread, I know, but for me, Jarvi is assured of his place in heaven for his early BIS recordings of all the Tubin symphonies. I hadn't encountered Tubin before those recordings, and I've treasured them since.

Peter

JimL

Composer of the Afro-American Symphony.  You bit my hook! ;D

eschiss1

Not to be confused (or confusable, stylistically, though WG Still's music is diverse!) with Robert Still (1910-1971) some of whose symphonies were recorded on Lyrita ;)

Kevin Pearson

I guess I might be in the minority here but I am kind of excited that Järvi might be doing a Raff cycle. I own several recordings that Järvi has conducted and I enjoy them all. He may be considered as inconsistent but in what I own I have not found that to be the case. His interpretations are usally vibrant and exciting. I think we should hope for the best until we have been shown otherwise. To have Raff recordings coming forth at all is next to a miracle. If Järvi recording the symphonies will give more exposure to Raff than I am all for it.

Kevin

FBerwald

Järvi's recordings of the complete Symphonies of Glazunov and Berwald should in itself put him on the wall of fame!!!!!!!

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I'd say the same myself of his Stenhammar 2, Prokofiev Fiery Angel, some of his Tubin symphonies, among other recordings. No argument there...