Raff symphonies from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 November 2010, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

Personally, I think Jarvi is still tops in Sibelius, Prokofieff, and Rimsky-Korsakov, despite a less than top-rate Scheherazade. And of course he did Tubin well and his recording of the Brahms g minor quartet as arranged by Schoenberg is thrilling, electrifying, stupendous and more.

Alan Howe

This is the latest news from Ralph Couzens:

<<Chandos will start a series of Raff with Neeme Jarvi next year. Symphonies will be at the heart of the series.>>

Mark Thomas

This is tremendous news, Alan. What a tonic!

Jonathan

Gareth Vaughan

How splendid that Raff's reputation has at last grown to the extent that we will shortly be in the position of being able to contemplate not two but THREE complete cycles of his symphonies. This is surely something of an achievement among "unsungs". If his music were only to appear in mainstream concerts from time to time we might feel justified in describing him as "no longer unsung". Roll on that day!

albion

First Rufinatscha, now Raff - surely they can't also be contemplating a Rubinstein cycle!!!  :o

Alan Howe

Well, Rubinstein's symphonies certainly need to be issued in better recordings than are available at present, but I've no news on that front  :(

eschiss1

... someone funnier than I am could probably come up with a top ten list (Letterman-style, not in seriousness) of R-name composers whose symphony cycles the Raff-and-Rufinatscha astrological conjunction really point to, rather than Rubinstein.  Alas, you are saved from my weak attempt at same ;)

Pengelli

Raff,Jarvi & the Chandos sound seems like a pretty good combination to me. A conductor with a high profile like Jarvi could do allot for Raff. I don't think we should look this gift horse in the mouth myself. Hopefully my favourite Raff symphony, the Fourth, will be among the first to be released!!!!
As to Rubinstein. The prospect of  a Chandos recording of Rubinstein's 'Ocean Symphony' is rather alluring. Although I gather from postings here that it's not by any means one of Anton's best.

mbhaub

Actually, it probably is Anton's best, and there's the problem. Rubinstein just wasn't a profoundly talented symphonist.

Peter1953

Alan Howe

I think it is a fact. However, far be it from me to object to others' enjoyment of him!

eschiss1

well, he wouldn't be the only composer who perhaps wrote his best music in other genres!

mbhaub

That's quite true. His piano concertos I enjoy very much indeed. And there's lot of solo piano music that I find quite enjoyable. Even Der Demon has its moments. In the case of the Ocean, I think a good case could be made that it is his best symphony -- at least in the original four movement version. Adding the extras was not such a good idea. That Rubinstein wasn't a top-notch symphony composer is no surprise. Who in that generation honestly was? I must also confess a certain liking to the 3rd symphony...

FBerwald

Please try his(Rubinstein) Symphony no 5 before writing him off.... I do realise he has written a lot of rambling music!!